Tag archive for : christmas
Filled Under : food
This is a layered sticky turnip dish. We try and source as much local produce as possible from the west of Ireland. Our turnip comes from Offaly and we use Cuinneog butter and local Galway beer.
2 large white onions
40g re Russian kale
20g Irish butter
200ml vegetable stock
5 large turnips
1 bottle Galway Hooker
120g Durrus cheese
This is How we Do it:
1. Soak your lentils in water and leave out on the counter-top overnight.
2. Chop you onions finely along with the sage, parsnip, kale and garlic and fry all in the butter in a large saucepan.
3. Once nice and soft and golden brown, add the lentils, veg stock and red wine and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until soft. Once cooked, leave to cool and season to you liking.
4. Slice your turnip into sheets and add to a roasting tin with a knob of butter and a half a bottle of Galway Hooker and cook at 170* C/gas mark 3 until semi soft – about 25 minutes.
5. To assemble in a roasting dish, add layers of turnip sheets and build up, alternating with layers of the lentil mix until all the turnip and lentil mix is used up. Add a decent wedge of Durrus on top and bake for another five to 10 minutes.
Durrus is a strongly flavoured cheese but a good blue cheese, such as Bellingham Blue, would also work.
Filled Under : Recipes